After resubmitting plans for their 12-storey build, Toronto developer Mizrahi’s proposal for a condo in West Wellington was rejected by the city planning committee on May 13 by a vote of 6-3.
Why was Mizrahi’s condo in West Wellington rejected?
The Ottawa Citizen reports that “the Wellington West Community Design Plan, which council passed in 2011, calls for four-to-six-storey buildings, typical for a historical main street, or nine storeys in exceptional circumstances.”
However, the Mizrahi condo was proposed to be 12 storeys to cover the expenses of cleaning up the build site, which had been previously contaminated.
The proposal received “unprecedented public support” from the local community, with many coming to voice their opinions at Tuesday’s meeting.
Planning committee chair Councillor Peter Hume implied that this decision was made because it’s important to stay the course on the plans that were made.
“It’s critically important that we live up to the CDPs we’ve put in place,” he said. “People are now looking to us to say, ‘Do you really believe in this?’ I think it’s time to say, ‘Yes, we believe in what we’re saying.’ We’re willing to draw the line in the sand here.”
What’s next for Mizrahi’s condo?
Mizrahi has confirmed that he will be appealing the decision to the Ottawa Municipal Board (OMB). If he loses at the OMB, Mizrahi has said he’ll be putting the property back up for sale. This is good news for some, but bad news for those hoping to see the derelict lot developed in the near future.
Are you looking for condos in Westboro-Wellington? Contact us for more information on this and other local developments.Tags: condo, Ottawa, Ottawa Community, Ottawa Condo Market, Ottawa Real Estate, Wellington, Wellington West, West Wellington, Westboro, Westboro Community, Westboro Property Shop, Westboro Real Estate, Westboro-West Wellington
This post was written by John King Team